Thursday, April 5, 2012

What's In A Name? PPA132



This card is headed west to wish my 86 year old aunt a Happy Easter.  I told you the story of her two sisters with the same name in this post and thought you might like to hear about her name.  Aunt Nell is the youngest of my father's family and was born in America after the family came over from Holland.   She was christened Petronella and my grandparents called her Nellie.  Nellie hated the name and took a stand at an early age and insisted on Nell.  At the age of 20 she left upstate NY behind and headed west to LA. The first thing she did when she got there was to tell everyone her name was Pat. And just like that she was Pat to everyone - except for the family!  When I visited her recently in California, she said I was the only person left on the planet who still called her Nell.  I told her that Aunt Pat just didn't sound right to me even after all of these years.  To which she replied:  "I know what you mean. I always regretted not telling people when I got here that my name was Christine."  Say what???

                                   
                             Pals Paper Arts has a wonderful spring color challenge this week!      

                                                

22 comments:

Linda said...

Such a pretty spring card and your Aunt Nell (or Pat...or Christine) has got a lot of spunk!

Linda Fisher said...

Thank you for the chuckle this morning! What a great sense of humor you Aunt has. Maybe you should elect to keep her name clean and simple - like Auntie.
She's gonna love her card though, it's so stinkin' CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Fun card and what a great story! Thank you for starting my day with inspiration and a laugh! (hugs)

Nancy said...

Love your card and the story attached to it, hadn't had a chance to read it previously, such great family memories. Now we know where your sense of humor comes from, very cute!

LeAnne said...

I can't believe I never read the first story....how interesting! So glad it got passed down to you---your Aunt Pat sounds like a character! Your card is lovely....a fun sketch and interpretation of the colors!

Katy "Whosit" M said...

As always, your card is lovely! But I really think you should write a book... I sincerely hope the family trait of humor has been passed down to your children!!!!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Linda what a great color combo and your Aunt will love it. I so love your stories and I think I told you when posted about the two other aunts with the same name that my family also has "name" stories in the past. I agree with Nancy that your sense of humor is my favorite part of your post. So Happy Easter Bunny! Hugs.

Kim L. said...

Linda, your card is beautiful!!

Mary Fish said...

uber cool use of the postage stamp punch and the colors. even the angle of the brads shows your creative mind! hugs, m

Dawn Tidd said...

Love it, Linda, your card and your story! Your cards always shout your name with their great style! :)

Mike Funke said...

This is so unique. I love the whole design. It would be so easy to use with other square images for a whole variety of occasions. Well done!

Ms said...

Very lovely card and what a wonderful story about your aunt... loved both!!

Ann Schach said...

Sorry, Linda! I was laughing so hard at your story, I couldn't concentrate on your card. OK...Breathe! Your card is so pretty! I love how you inked up the postage stamps in the challenge colors! This is a fabulous layout!

Bobbi Miller said...

That is a funny story and so cute! And your card is so pretty! Love the color combo! Thanks for brightening my day!

Naki said...

I love that postage stamp! and this is such a clever way to use it! Beautiful!

Jen Mitchell said...

That's a great story Linda. I think I begin to see where your sense of humor comes from!

Oh, and pretty card too!

None None said...

What a beautiful card, Linda! Love how you repeatedly used the stamp from what I think is one of my favorite sets now.

And so funny about your aunt - she has a lot of vim and vigor about her!

Terri Orr said...

Very pretty card (love your emphasis on the pink!). And I love the story that goes with the card!

Lesley said...

Hahaha! Love it! Yes...what's in a name indeed! Lovely card...cool looking design LC.
lc

Anonymous said...

Great card, love the colors and the fun layout!

-Teresa

Julie Trevett-Smith said...

Too funny! Beautiful card. I love the layout and your design.

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a neat story, Linda! And I love that card you made for your aunt (Nell, Pat, Christine...), with the squares dancing down the center.